Shelly and Dan
Madeline
Davis
Hannah
Joseph
The Baby

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Weekend In The Clouds

In his new book "Radical," David Platt argues that "the gospel does not prompt you to mere reflection; the gospel requires a response."

I used to think the Christian life was Bible study, a daily quiet time, regular prayer and weekly church attendance. Over the past year, the Lord has opened my eyes to show me that these things are not the Christian Life, but rather the means to the Christian life.  When I look back on my walk with the Lord, I know I've spent a whole lotta time reflecting but the responding... well, not so much.

Since Dan and I embarked on this Crazy Journey, I've been trying to change this tendency of mine to do this: I wake up early, sit on my couch, read my Bible (while feeling really good about myself because I actually dragged myself out of bed before the kids), feel really moved by a few psalms or whatever is on the daily reading list, offer up a few prayers and then go about my day like it never happened.

Now PUH-lease do not think you are reading a call from Shelly Owens to stop your quiet time! Not at all! If anything, I'm saying I should get up earlier, read longer passages, offer up way more prayers and above all else, make time to listen. Because the Christian life is both reflection and response. If I'm not spending time with Him, I can't respond to Him. And certainly I can't live this "crazy life" that I keep blogging about unless I'm spending daily, quality time with Him.

OK, all this to say that for the first time in 10 years of marriage, Dan and I went away this weekend just to pray. No agenda, no plans -- just a simple cabin the Georgia mountains, our Bibles, prayer journals and our baby (we can't leave her with the grandparents yet but she's a big sleeper so it's sort of like she's not there). We've made a lot of changes over the past couple of months and we may have many more to come. We needed time away from life, kids, noise and everything else to just go and be with Him. It was awesome.







2 comments:

Mandi said...

I hear you, I get you, and I'm trying to make the same changes. Tired of going through the motions. Love the Crazies & enjoy your blog so much. The tiny crazy is beautiful by the way. :)

Joshua Goodling said...

You are exactly right. The "responding" is what is important. It doesn't do us a whole lot of good to be reading the Bible, memorizing the Bible, and studying the Bible if we never respond and apply what we've read to our daily lives.