Shelly and Dan
Madeline
Davis
Hannah
Joseph
The Baby

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Hello USCIS!

Oh my word. Wednesday of this week. I just have to share and I have to laugh because seriously, what else are you going to do... Once you hear about my day you'll understand...

It's funny because the night before this happened, I was reading my bloggy friend Allison's post and thinking about how funny it was... which you may want to check out after you hear this story.

Anyways...
Wednesday was our pre-assigned fingerprinting appointment at the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) office in Atlanta. I got up bright and early to pray and spend some time in my Bible, got my big girl off to school, fired off a few emails, did some homeschool with my middle child and even took a shower. Trust me, this is a VERY productive morning in my home. Especially the showering part.

I load the baby and my 4 year old up in the car with plenty of time to spare and we're off! I head to drop off Davis with a friend and then pick up Dan at his office for our appointment. Before we even get out of the neighborhood, I start not feeling so good. My mouth is dry, my stomach hurts, weird... I was fine 5 minutes ago. I call Dan at the office and ask him to bring down a bottled water from his office fridge when I come to pick him up.

I drop Davis off with my sweet friend Valerie and head to Dan's office, only about 5 minutes away. And my condition has taken a turn for the worse. By the time Dan gets downstairs to meet me, I am slumped over in the passenger seat of the car, half gagging, half dry heaving and I announce to Dan (as if he can't tell) that I think I'm sick.

Anyways, the two of us and the baby head to the appointment. We pull into the parking lot, I get out of the car before it's even stopped, walk about 3 feet and promptly throw up on the front lawn of this lovely government facility. Hello USCIS, Shelly Owens has arrived!

Dan and I look at each other, not sure what to do... I mean should we clean it up or something? We decide no... it's raining. That should take care of it. (Wow, nothing says classy like some Dan & Shelly Owens.) But should we go in if I'm this sick? Neither of us knows what to do... can we reschedule this appointment or will it delay our entire adoption process? We decide to risk it and go on in. I mean, what's a little puke between friends anyways?

By clenching my teeth shut and offering up lots of prayers, I manage to hold it all together while we check in with the receptionist and fill out our paperwork. Then we're ushered over for a nice, long wait in the fingerprinting area. The long wait really worked in my favor as it provided me with ample opportunities to visit and throw up in the USCIS public restrooms. Good times! I also think I really disturbed everyone around me. While I focused on not throwing up in the waiting room, I don't think I spoke one word to poor Dan or gave him one second of help with the baby -- who eventually grew tired of hanging around the USCIS office and started to fuss.

Finally, my number is called, I make it through the fingerprinting process without incident (although God bless the poor man who did my prints... I'm sure I smelled like a used airplane barf bag at this point) and we are dismissed.

Dan drops me off at home and takes the baby into the office with him. I'm sure you're surprised to hear that that lasted about 30 minutes and then they were back home for the day. Later in the afternoon, my big kids are dropped off by my dear friend Joy who also fed them lunch. I was a little confused on the whole transfer process... I left Davis with Valerie and left Madeline at the school and they ended up with Joy... oh well. I have awesome friends. And an awesome husband. And he has an awesome boss who lets him come home and manage the house while I'm sick in bed.

So we're all better and no one else seems to have come down with my mysterious illness. I almost wonder if it was a spiritual attack on our family and against our adoption... We came very close to walking away from that fingerprinting appointment. And for reasons I hope to share very, very soon (like, maybe on our next post) I am so glad we stuck it out. Puking or not.

Stay tuned! More details to come...

7 comments:

Alison said...

Girl, I totally feel your pain!!! This sounds just like me trying to mail off our dossier! But Praise God, you got your fingerprints done and our dossier got in the mail! Not gonna let the stomach virus stop us from getting closer to our babies! :)

Jennie said...

Argh! Leaving us hanging? Cruel.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh!! What an experience. Thank the Lord you were able to get your fingerprints done. Can't wait for the more details.. I hope you are feeling better!

Mandi said...

I'm so sorry that the "oh.MY.WORD" quality of this post came at your expense...but what a memory and what a hilarious/(bless her heart) picture you created. Praising the Lord you got the victory in this battle for your children and what a CLIFFHANGER!!! Can't wait to hear more.

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else. Poor you, but wow, you sure made it a funny read! Is the cliffhanger that you're adding yet another child to your family?!? ;)

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog my dear Shelly! You and your family are an inspiration to me! I am glad you stuck it out too....Michelle

Carlee said...

hope you are feelin better Shelly. Its Carlee from New Zealand my blog (lovethroughitall) thankyou for your reply and sorry I toke so long to see it!!! Been so busy and yes def will be starting to blog again. And BIG YES our hearts are totally sold out for beautiful Uganda. We know we will be moving there at some stage soon just dont quite know when or where yet. Alot has to happen but we are totally Trusting God to open doors. And so excited to hear about the adoption!!! YAY!!!! thats awesome!!! look forward to hearing from you. mite try find ya on fb. GOD bless u and all that you do. XXX