Shelly and Dan
Madeline
Davis
Hannah
Joseph
The Baby

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 5, 2012

{And Now} A Heartfelt Post

On Tuesday night, I sat down to share my thoughts and experiences from the Created for Care retreat, held last weekend in Buford, GA. But then I was rudely interrupted by a hilarious video clip and was temporarily rendered unable to write.

Now I'm back and I do want to share about my weekend.

Created for Care 2012 was a time of total refreshment for me. Note that I did not say it was a time of relaxation or rest... I think I slept for a combined total of 6 hours the entire weekend. And I'm not sure if I sat down the entire time. But dang it was fun.

It was a weekend of laughter, encouragement, friendship and complete, utter joy with a hotel full of like-minded ladies. In my book, it doesn't get much better than this:

I spent my time working at the SixtyFeet table, doing some break-out sessions,

That's me on the end and some of my favorite blog writers on the panel: Gwen Oatsvall, Suzanne Mayernick, Missy Dollahan, Kristi Johnson, Lovelyn Palm and Lara Dinsmore.


and generally doing what I do best: talking, laughing, eating and acting completely immature.

Of course this is Joy, not me. But I was wearing the baskets on my head too. I just don't have a picture of myself to share.


On Saturday night, I found myself onstage addressing all 450 women at the retreat. Andrea was crazy gracious enough to give me the mic and a few minutes to thank the retreat attendees for the role so many of them have played in launching and growing the ministry of SixtyFeet over the last two years.


During this time my heart was not just to speak for SixtyFeet or for Uganda or even for orphan ministry -- but to speak for ministry work in general. Because even large, busy, overbooked families can do ministry. You really can.
  
Now I'd be lying if I didn't tell you this... while I was up there speaking, a part of me actually wanted to scream "DON'T DO IT!! Keep your head down. Pour all of your time and energy into your husband and your children and your home. Don't get sucked into ministry work because it's crazy out there. Play it safe, avoid the spiritual warefare and just stay home!!"

But what a disservice that would have been. While playing it safe would've made my life easier, it would've also made it far less meaningful. We weren't built for easy. We were built for service. We're here to work. And I so want to encourage you in that.

I may have already shared this short clip with you but it's so good, it's worth sharing again. Hear below what Francis Chan has to say about playing it safe and staying home.



You can do ministry. You really can. You don't have to wait until you reach a season in life that's more manageable. You don't have to wait until all of your sin issues have been defeated. You don't have to wait until you've been trained at seminary. If you're willing and open-handed, God will use you right now if you'll let Him.

Have a great week, friends. If you're watching the Superbowl tonight (I personally don't even know who's playing), enjoy with caution.

4 comments:

Naomi said...

Thank you for sharing. That video spoke volumes to me!!

I realise how much I am clinging to that beam.

Nicole Renée said...

Now I cannot wait even MORE for the March retreat! Will you be there? I'd love to meet you!

Julie said...

Love the Chan clip! I am also very excited about being at the March retreat.

BumbersBumblings said...

So excited to go in March! Thanks for the awesome recap!