Shelly and Dan
Madeline
Davis
Hannah
Joseph
The Baby

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Making Christmas Plans

Hi friends -- Just a quick post. I hate to say we're losing hope -- but at some point we do have to face reality. And a Christmas Eve arrival is just not looking likely for Dan and the children.

I mean, please keep praying. There's still a slim chance that it could all come together tomorrow. We've made all the arrangements for everyone to come home. This morning I spent over an hour on the phone with Delta airlines booking skymiles tickets (thanks Mr. H for nearly cleaning out your skymiles account for the lil ol' Owens family!) and getting everything set up.

At the same time, we're making arrangements for everyone to stay. Just keepin' it real -- the Embassy is probably not going to be able to get all the paperwork processed by close of business tomorrow ( that's 8:30am EST tomorrow). Dan has had many Christmas Day invitations from our wonderful friends in Uganda and he, Hannah and Joseph will be just fine. I'm here in North Carolina with my family and I'll be just fine too.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'm sad and disappointed. But I do know our God is sovereign and His plan and timing is way better than mine. So we do it His way -- and I'm going to try my best to do it joyfully. After all, there are many families who have to spend Christmas Day apart for reasons beyond their control -- including the amazing men and women who serve our country in the Armed Forces. What I'm experiencing is just a little taste of what those families experience year in and year out. Lord, forgive me my selfishness and feelings of entitlement.

Dan, Hannah and Joseph will be home!! But at this point, it's looking more like a New Year's Eve arrival than Christmas Eve. I'll update and give y'all the final word tomorrow.

By the way, speaking of entitlement... I read the most amazing blog post yesterday, written by my nephew who is serving as a missionary in Bogota, Colombia with his wife, my niece, Sara. My nephew Stephen is actually the same age as me -- he may even be a few months older than me now that I think about it -- but I am technically his wise old Auntie. I nearly burst with auntly (is that a word?) pride when I read his post from yesterday. If I could write as well as him, I could have written these words myself. They're certainly written all over my heart. If you have an extra few minutes today, this is well worth the read:
http://www.bridgethelove.com/

Merry Christmas friends!

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Oh, dear Shelly. I'm continuing to pray. But I appreciate your heart in the trial. I too am reminded to be thankful for the blessings we have.
And what a joy for Hannah and Joseph to be able to spend Christmas with their Daddy this year. Brings tears to my eyes. I'm often reminded that there are MILLIONS of orphans around the globe who would give ANYTHING to have what H and J have this year.

Julie said...

I forgot to post a big YAY!!! on your Gotcha Day post. Continuing to pray!

Colleen said...

So sorry to hear the update that they most likely won't be home this week. :( Thanks for sending the link to your nephew's blog, though. MAN...he hit the nail on the head with his latest post. And his post about the gun was totally funny. His blog is most definitely on my reading list now.
Praying the embassy can get their visas completed before the new year!

Love said...

8am in Uganda. i'm still with you in believing!!

love your heart. let's be neighbors.